|Shops: 4 copies available|
|[Cache: 24h] [Last: 02/12/2023 08:16am]|| |
You can register anytime to get your (free) Account on LDDb.com.
With your Account, you will be able to:
- Manage your Collection
- Manage your Wishlist
- Manage your Rot Reports
- Remove watermarks on covers
- Access extra LD pictures
- Submit new LDs
- Update existing LDs
- Track and Buy LDs
- Open your Shop and Sell
- Participate in the Forum
- ... and much more!
Join the LD community,
Click here to register
Added by hicks
Cover by thepenguin
Added on: 09/10/2002
Latest update: 27/07/2023
User updates processed: 10
[Click here for FORUM URL]
Close Encounters of the Third Kind: Special Edition #125 (1980) [CC1241L]
|Country || USA|| || |
|Released || 26/11/1990|
|Publisher || Criterion|
|Price || 124.95 USD|
|Color || Color|
|Length || 135 min.|
|Sides || 6|
|Chapters || 57|
|Size || 12"||
|Picture || Letterboxed|
|Ratio || 2.35:1|
|Plastic || Transparent|
|Cover || Box Set|
|Rot status || Low probability [?]||
|Manufactured by || Pioneer USA|
| Additional Information by hiphats
|| 30/07/2004 |
Initial pressings had some mastering problems and chapter stops miscoded, particularly on Side One.
| Additional Information by audioniek
|| 27/09/2005 - Last update: 31/03/2016 |
Included was an insert sheet with player programming instructions on how to play the 1980 Special Edition version.
Early pressings were boxed, later ones have a gatefold sleeve.
| Additional Information by disclord
|| 19/04/2012 |
The first press run, with many chapter errors, was originally issued in the 3 panel gatefold jacket. Criterion issued a new press run with most of the chapter errors fixed, but there were still some errors that Criterion never corrected. Due to consumer complaints about the 3 panel jacket, Criterion switched to a side open box and offered it, for a minimal charge, to owners of the original gatefold packaging.
Interestingly, this Criterion pressing was the first time the original theatrical version of the film had ever been offered on home video in any format.
| Additional Information by tucky66 (2)
|| 31/03/2016 |
In 1980, Steven Spielberg excised 16 minutes from the original negative of "Close Encounters Of The Third Kind" and replaced it with 7 minutes of previously deleted footage and 6 minutes of new material for a Special Edition reissue.
- Exclusive restoration of the original 1977 version of Close Encounters, with one shot from the Special Edition that was included and 3 scenes which remain deleted from his reconstruction of the original version at Mr. Spielberg's request
- All footage from both the 1977 and 1980 releases - program your LaserDisc player to watch the version you prefer
- New digital video transfer, supervised by director Steven Spielberg, presented entirely in the full-feature CAV standard play format
- New Dolby Surround soundtrack created from the original 4-channel mix
- Steven Spielberg describes "letterboxing"
- Making Close Encounters: An interactive documentary featuring video interviews with director Steven Spielberg, special effects wiz Douglas Trumbull, composer John Williams, and other principals, along with over 1,000 still frames from different aspects of the production. Also included are screenplay excerpts of deleted scenes, publicity materials for the Original and Special Edition, and more...
| Additional Information by leonardmaltin
|| 06/12/2022 |
Quoted from the included notes:
"The master for this laserdisc was created primarily from the best possible element - a 35mm interpositive of the 1980 Special Edition. Using the trims from the original camera negative, Voyager created a new interpositive of the excised scenes to restore the original edition.
A Dolby Surround soundtrack was created from the original 35mm magnetic 4-channel mix, using a Dolby DS-4 surround processor.
All film elements were transferred to D-1 (component digital video). Under Stephen Spielberg's supervision, the D-1 masters were used to reconstruct the motion picture presented on this disc."